Summer of Color - Week 1

Talk about cutting it fine!

Week one of the Summer of Color is in full swing. In fact the second weeks colours will be announced tomorrow - I'm hoping (though - thinking what we have planned - not holding my breath)  I have time to play earlier next week! Still, am squeaking in just under the wire this week.

The colours we had to play are Aqua Blue & Yellow with a smudge, splash or pop of Hot Pink.

I still want to improve my watercolours and also my faces. However - due to time and panic and not wanting to miss a single week of this fabulous event... I went for the next best thing and cracked open the Neocolour ii crayons.
Whoopidooings: Carmen Wing - #SummerofColorFour Neocolour ii crayons and Fineliners.
Neocolour ii crayons
Fineliner pens
For reference I used a brilliant photo by Alex Lee Johnson on Paint My Photo. You might need to join the site to be able to view it. It's well worth it - the site is free and the aim is for photographers to provide photos for people to paint without the fear of copyright issues. There's so much inspiration on there. So much. This is the first one I have attempted and she looks nothing like the photo but I enjoyed it so much and had a lot of fun.

Here's what she'd look like if you met her down a dark alleyway...
If you'd like to see what everyone else did with the colour combo or play along yourself (every single medium is welcome)  there are already over 100 participants this week - you can click here.

Also claiming her as number 13 of my 40 Portraits.


Thanks for stopping by today :)

20 comments:

  1. Love it!! I only got round to getting mine done today, too! Wonder what the next colours will be....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Carmen, this is fabulous, girl! Wonderful tones and shading, and such a strong face. I love the 2 'takes' on it, light 'n' dark. Bravo!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this. The pink eyes are great! :-)
    Cool!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your pop art style. You did a great job Carmen. Looking forward to seeing the what you make for the next weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh! This is absolutely fabulous Carmen!!!! So fierce and beautiful! I love how she looks if I would meet her in a dark alley, too! You are so creative!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carmen, this is awesome! You are awesome as always :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how fabulous! I'm so delighted to be playing in SOC just for the opportunity of finding wonderful artists like yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow that is amazing! Both views are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow this is stunning! The expression and the vibrant colors....love it! ♥ Conny
    Piaroms Art Journaling

    ReplyDelete
  10. Captivating! Love your portrait.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous use of the colours Carmen... and Alex's images are stunning... you have taken the "essence" of the image with all the tones and created something different, brilliant!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, she is fabulous Carmen!! I love what you did.
    And thank you for the lovely comment on my wee boat. Maybe I should have used it to get arond everyone, haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Carmen - First thank you for visiting me at my blog Mariane with one N you know ;) Second I was happy to see you again..
    Then WOW what a face, unbelievable what colours can do :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh that's fabulous Carmen - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, she is amazing, dear Carmen! Strong and colorful and vilolet eyes. A wonderful combination in vibrant colors.
    Hugs
    Erika

    ReplyDelete
  16. She is so wonderful!!! creepy and cool... utterly fantastic :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cool sketch! She looks kind if sci if, which I like.

    Thanks for taking the time to visit my blog last week. I'm still racking my brains to figure out what I'm going to do with coral and teal this week, but I'm sure I'll come up with something. :)

    ReplyDelete

Of all the blogs in all the towns, in all of cyber space, you landed on mine...

"Say your right words" the goblins said...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...