Family Collaboration Canvas - The Crow Family

Last year we decided to make a canvas that the whole family would have a hand in making. Something that was ours. I had a big old canvas I had bought to use in a class project and just never got round to it - so it was sitting there, gathering dust. We hauled it out and started adding layers of yummy texture of the top with various papers and Gesso...

Whoopidooings: Carmen Wing - Crow Family - The making of  our Family Collaboration (Mixed Media)
Whoopidooings: Carmen Wing - Crow Family - The making of  our Family Collaboration (Mixed Media)
Then we all took turns adding splashes of colour to our background.  No rules - just whatever took our each individual fancy. Even Craig had a go splashing some colour and adding a smiley face - and the Bear had a few finger smears on there too.
Whoopidooings: Carmen Wing - Crow Family - The making of  our Family Collaboration (Mixed Media)
Whoopidooings: Carmen Wing - Crow Family - The making of  our Family Collaboration (Mixed Media)
Whoopidooings: Carmen Wing - Crow Family - The making of  our Family Collaboration (Mixed Media)
When we got to this gorgeous riot of colour - I was told it was my job to 'finish it'. We thought a family of crows - six, one to symbolise each of us. And I became a big ol' fraidy cat. Scared of ruining everyone's lovely work. So there it stayed in my shedio all Winter, looking at me accusingly.
Whoopidooings: Carmen Wing - Crow Family - The making of  our Family Collaboration (Mixed Media)
Spring rolls around and I get to doing the Soul Food class - one of the lessons was to take inspiration from Pinterest. Well I have a board full of crows on there so that wasn't hard. I also love the painting styles of Flora Bowley and more recently had discovered Tracy Verdugo. I knew I wanted to do crow silhouettes but not heavy black ones. So that's where my using Pinterest as inspiration came in. This weekend I finally bit the bullet and went at it.

Here's a couple of the stages... 
Whoopidooings: Carmen Wing - Crow Family - The making of  our Family Collaboration (Mixed Media)
Whoopidooings: Carmen Wing - Crow Family - The making of  our Family Collaboration (Mixed Media)
 And the finished canvas  modelled by a proud Little Miss...
Whoopidooings: Carmen Wing - Crow Family - Family Collaboration (Mixed Media)
We all signed the back and it's now hanging above our fireplace. Guess what? It's the first thing that I have had a hand in making that I have let them display in the house. No kidding - I never display my stuff. I sometimes pin up a postcard sized piece beside my desk if I am particularly happy with it but they usually end up in my journals or folders after a week or so.  I really, really love this canvas. I think it's because we all did it.
Whoopidooings: Carmen Wing - Crow Family - Family Collaboration (Mixed Media)
Thanks for stopping by for a peek today :)

15 comments:

  1. Its breath taking Carmen, absolutely wonderful, you are all a very talented bunch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely gorgeous Carmen :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's just gorgeous Carmen and it's been wonderful to watch it's progress

    What a fabulous thing to have hanging on your wall

    Suzy zx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantastic thing for you and your children to create it's gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was wondering what had happened to this!! It looks fantastic, Carmen. I am not surprised you're displaying this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And I really, really love this too! It's flippin amazing!! If you hadn't got it on display I'd have driven up to see you and given you a good talking too!!! You are totally rocking things atm lady xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carmen it is utterly amazing and I love it - I love the process and the finished item and soooooooooo glad it's now hanging in your living space!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea and such a beautiful canvas. What a lovely keepsake.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is one of the most amazing projects I've seen in a long time! it looks fabulous AND it's got real heart. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved this when I saw this on facebook, but I love it even more now. It is SO beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello you! This is fantastic Carmen! Wonderful, colourful, textural.... just so very artful!! And meaningful, lets not forget that, the fact that your whole family had a hand in this.. Love it xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful Carmen, absolutely beautiful - and so special as you all did a part of it. I love the colours as well, bet it looks stunning hanging up too xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really love how this came out. That feeling of ruining a piece can be paralysing. Gorgeous energy about this one.

    ReplyDelete

Of all the blogs in all the towns, in all of cyber space, you landed on mine...

"Say your right words" the goblins said...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...