Stay at Home CJ - Shakespeare

I've just realised that the 5th month deadline of the Stay at Home CJ is looming and I haven't shared last months yet. Whoops!

The CollaborArt "Stay At Home CJ" is a project where  all the participants made just one background and come up with a theme for that background. We then sent our background  to our host, Sarah. She photocopied them and then we all got a full set of backgrounds (and our originals) back to work on. We all work on the same background each month - to the theme set by the backgrounds creator.

January was Virginia's gorgeous background. Her theme? Shakespeare! Oh Virginia - how you like to challenge me. 
Whoopidooings: Stay at Home CJ - Virginia's background.
Virginia's background
I haven't actually read any Shakespeare. I've been a little scared I wouldn't understand it to be honest. I've seen a couple of films which I did enjoy...

So trotting along to Google I went and searched Shakespeare quotes. I knew I wanted to do a skull but not go down the obvious "Yorrick" path. I like the "Double, Double" quote - didn't realise it was Shakespeare though. Colour me chuffed!

On further googling since, I don't think the quote is quite right. Sssshh.  I still like it! I'm sure Shakespeare won't mind. 

I cut and collaged the skull from an old book page. He's highlighted with oil pastels and Posca pen. The text is Posca pen, written three times because I remember somewhere that being a magic number and the skull and words together make me think of a spell book. It's much more readable in real life - it was a devil of a job getting this to scan.

 Whoopidooings: Carmen Wing: Stay at Home CJ - Shakespeare
I have to thank my 6 year old helper who insisted I add eeeeeevil red eyes. I think it finishes him off perfectly and makes me think of Bob in The Dresden Files. (A ghost who is trapped in a skull.) 

So, after initially struggling with the Shakespeare theme, I've come away wanting to actually read some... or at the very least watch more films to ease me in gently. So thank you Virginia for that and for the gorgeous background to work on. If you'd like to see what everyone else did with the theme, click here

The theme this month is "Innocence and Experience." Crikey!


Thank you as always for stopping by :)

7 comments:

  1. I loved your taken on the Shakespeare theme - and why can't you combine two different plays if you want! If old Will had thought of it, he might have done that.
    If you're going to watch some Shakespeare DVDs, perhaps I can make a couple of suggestions. We have a number of different DVDs of his, and for a bit of fun by the directors, while keeping closely to the original, try these:
    'William Shakespeare's Twelfth Night" starring Richard Briers and Caroline Langrishe, directed by Kenneth Branagh.
    "William Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream" with Stanley Tucci and Michelle Pfeiffer among others, directed by Michael Hoffman"
    "William Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet" starring Leonardo Di Caprio and Claire Danes, directed by Baz Luhrmann. Boy! is that one a different approach, bikers in a very modern setting. Love it.
    But DON'T, DON'T try "Titus" starring Anthony Hopkins. That is really violent and full of blood and dastardly doings, not a comfy evening on the couch in front of the TV!
    Hope you don't mind the recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Co-incidently, I am reading some Shakespeare for kids books to my boys at the moment for their benefit - and mine! When I say books, I mean one, a charity shop find that simplifies lots of his stories into plain english, perflick! I'm embarassed to say I hadn't read them either, fearing the difficult language and now know the outline story to lots now. You may find copies on ebay or get your MIL, the charity shop expert to look one out for you. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't ready any since school, when it was a chore - coincidentally we did Macbeth, from whence your quote comes. Great page, Carmen I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was about ten I won a library competition of a book called "Favourite Tales from Shakespeare" by Bernard Miles. The illustrations were gorgeous and it's still my favourite Shakespeare. Definitely worth seeing if you can get an old copy.

    I'm back catching up after a break and when I'm finished reading, I'm going to write a Rockin My World Friday post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hee hee Shakespeare my English Lit nemesis! Love this piece x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny how Shakespeare does that. I love what i have read but i find it so intimidating. That background is gorgeous and the skull...love

    ReplyDelete

Of all the blogs in all the towns, in all of cyber space, you landed on mine...

"Say your right words" the goblins said...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...