Soul Food - Lesson Two - Sketching with Gwenn Seemel

Hi everyone - thank you for all the emails and messages about my my blog problems. I think I will probably look for an alternative as I seem to be having problems every few months. I don't want to but like a few of you have also said, I do worry that one day they will just pull the plug or one of the glitches will wipe out my blog. Hmm.

Special thanks to my tech adviser Sarah who, although couldn't fix my problem, told me a way around it that I hadn't thought of. Yay.

So, on to lesson two of Soul Food. This had Gwenn Seemel sharing the way she sketches and giving some fabulous advice both in class and on Facebook. I really love her style and so was fascinated to get a peep behind the scenes. She talks about how we should all try and sketch every day and it will help other aspects of our art. I agree and it's a habit I got out of years ago. I'm trying to do a bit every day now. I love the technique she taught with pens. I used to solely draw in biro when I was a child but am so rusty now. I wish I hadn't stopped or even still had the sketchbooks from then.

I decided to do a selfie first using this picture as a guide.

Oh blimey my first attempt was awful but I did enjoy doing it and it got my head in the right space to try the style again...

Whoopidooings: Carmen Wing - Self portrait in my sketchbook
Copics and Gel pens
My second attempt I am chuffed to bits with - it's still not right but I like how it turned out. 
Whoopidooings: Carmen Wing - Self portrait in my sketchbook - Copics & Gel pens
Copics and Gel pens
I will be coming back to this lesson and playing some more. I really enjoyed it! I'm also counting these as two more of my 40 Portraits. That brings me up to six!

This is also going to be my first time of playing along with A Year in the Life of an Art Journal. The first prompt was to play around with getting our 'kit' together. As in an e-fit kit. I think this counts - I hope so. Another prompt is to talk about how we think other people see us. Well - that's a toughie. I know how I would like to be seen. I also know how I think I come across. Two different things. I think in real life I come across as quiet, shy, boring - maybe aloof (I've been told I come across as cold and unfeeling) I'm definitely scruffy. Creative maybe? Maybe not on first meeting.

Truth is I'm learning that I am probably introverted and definitely find initial meetings with people extremely hard - I do hide my feelings which may come across as cold. I am scruffy because I buy clothes only maybe once or twice a year - hate clothes shopping, would rather buy paint. I then wear those clothes till they literally fall to pieces. If I like an item I'll buy them in twos or three's so it most likely looks like I'm wearing the same clothes every day (I'm not a minky mare I just rotate but it all looks the same!) Boring - ummm, I'm happy being quiet, comfortable with silence. Doesn't mean I wont ever have something to say but is probably boring for a lot of people. So there we go - those of you have met me. Am I right?

I'll be back soon with some more to show you - plus I've been doing the 7 Day Creativity Challenge, which is just some little prompts to make it easier to stay creative. If you fancy it you can still sign up here. It's free!

Thanks for stopping by today :)

14 comments:

  1. I hate photos of myself, let alone self portraits, so well done you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find selfies easier than doing other people. Funnily enough Gwenn said the same in her lesson as I feel - Selfies are easier because it's quite hard to insult yourself :D

      Delete
  2. I am LOVING your pen sketched selfies! I didn't even attempt a human face - let alone my own!

    See you in class!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Carmen - that's fantastic, I couldn't even think to do a self portrait - yours is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooooh I'm a tech advisor! :)

    and I've met you, and you came across as friendly, a good laugh, a great mum (as you had progeny with you so to demonstrate :)), a little shy but definitely not socially awkward, a little scatty but in a good way (squirrel!!), and as for clothes, you have your own style and I like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love them both! The second one is definitely a favorite! Thank you so much for playing with us at a Year in the Life of an Art Journal!! I look forward to getting to know you this year!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boring ? You? Never!!! As for clothes..I have 2 skirts,2 jumpers, 3 vest tops, 3 dresses, 3 pairs of leggings...they are all black..and I layer. and I too wear them til they fall apart before buying new :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love these! The loose, doodle-y marks in the second one are awesome! Thanks for playing along with A Year in the Life of an Art Journal! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate photos of myself too. It's hard to take them. I'm supposed to take an updated one for my business and I just haven't done it because I don't want to! And I seem to wear the same clothes a lot too, or they're all black and so people think it's all the same when it's not. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love them both.but especially the second one.
    I don't think you're boring...you have a wicked sense of humour!
    As for clothes....I have the same black v-neck, three-quarter sleeve jumper from M&S in three different sizes...and I wear all of them...a lot! Comfy, wash and tumble dry....I'm sure people think it's the same jumper..
    Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your style. You say you're introverted, but in your blog you're funny, smart, bold and open and it shows in your art. I love the colours you choose, and the boldness of the marks you make - CLEARLY seen RIGHT HERE in these pieces you've posted. You're awesome. Fact. Keeping kicking arse and being fabulous 'cos I'm pretty sure that anyone who's reading your blog thinks you're pretty damn epic, missus! Hugs from Shroo:)xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks fantastic! You look so happy, both in your sketch and in your selfie.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the vibrancy that comes through in the second one and with the added glasses. Sketching everyday is a great habit.

    visiting from a year in the life of an art journal.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I keep signing up to the year in the life of an art journal but never do it so stayed away from my urge this year. I don't need to set myself up to not finish something even more! Love the faces. I want to do sketching as well. I need to start using my time more wisely again. I don't think you are boring either!! I think you are quite fabulous. :)

    ReplyDelete

Of all the blogs in all the towns, in all of cyber space, you landed on mine...

"Say your right words" the goblins said...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...