Stay at Home CJ - Steampunk

Hello people,

It's the third month of the CollaborArt "Stay At Home CJ" where  all the participants make just one background and come up with a theme for that background. We then sent our background  to our host, Sarah. She photocopied them and then we all got a full set of backgrounds (and our originals) back to work on. We all work on the same background each month - to the theme set by the backgrounds creator. 

This month we worked on Pat's gorgeous background and her theme was Steampunk.
Whoopidooings: Stay at Home CJ - Pat's background
Pat's background
I don't know how Steampunk-y this actually is as although I admire the style I don't know all the rules. I just didn't want to go with my usual "stick a cog on it" fall back. I decided to try and do a machine-like face without actually being a machine if that makes sense.

Please ignore the dodgy handwriting - I need to find a nice pen that will write over paint, this was just a Sharpie...
Whoopidooings: Carmen Wing - Stay at Home CJ - Steampunk (Pastels)
Oil Pastels
Neocolour II's
Graphite pencil
"Without self knowledge, without understanding the working and functions of his machine, man cannot be free, he cannot govern himself and he will always remain a slave.” – G.I. Gurdjieff 

Craig actually wants to laminate this one - he thinks the quote is very "Person of Interest". High praise indeed from him.

If you'd like to see what everyone else did with the background you can click here. Once again we all went very different routes - it's such an interesting and fun project to take part in.

This is also number 3 of my 40 portraits... just realised she is very similar to face 1 apart from having a clock for an eye! Maybe she's being "upgraded."  Hmm - wonder who she is from my sub-conscious...

Thank you, as always, for stopping by today :)

9 comments:

  1. Carmen she is absolutely fabulous. I'm not usually a fan of steampunk but this is wonderful, I love it

    ReplyDelete
  2. ".....I just didn't want to go with my usual "stick a cog on it" fall back" LOL!! I love steampunk but don't know the 'rules' either, so I would have just stuck a cog on it!! I LOVE this face (particularly marvellous nose, missus) - and the quote is spot-on.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this one Carmen-love the colours

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carmen- this is absolutely lovely. And as for 'rules'...really, there ARE NO RULES in steampunk. The word 'steampunk' was coined by the author K.W. Jeter. Wiki states " Jeter is also the first to coin the term "Steampunk," in a letter to Locus magazine in April 1987, to describe the retro-technology, alternate-history works that he published along with his friends." The term has been used to describe a world where steam power in its hey day, especially during the Victorian Era (1837 to 1901). But it really has NO DEFINITIVE time. I love steampunk because it is a really up to how creative one is without modern day technology. It is also, for me, a way of imagining a future with colorings of the past. Sorry to get so wordy. I really love your art! It is whimsical and pretty and just makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your page Carmen and the quote! I did just stick cogs on mine as I don't know the rules either and don't really get it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so happy that I found your blog. I really love your work! The colors in this piece are gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. Loving the faces. I love steam punk faces. Am quite drawn to them though never really played with them. I should be noting this down. My to - do list is going to end up a mile long after visiting you today!

    ReplyDelete

Of all the blogs in all the towns, in all of cyber space, you landed on mine...

"Say your right words" the goblins said...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...