40 Portraits - 1 & 2

Greetings, lovely people. I've signed up to a new portrait challenge - Gritty Jane's 40 Portraits on Facebook. The challenge is to use any media, in your own time frame, to create 40 portraits. In Jane's own words: "Welcome! I challenge you to create 40 portraits. There is no time limit (although I suggest you try to work/play daily). Just number them and share them with the group. I also suggest you set up an album in the photo section to showcase your photos. All mediums welcome. WE CAN DO THIS! We will g-r-o-w! Can't wait to see what we make!!" I need a challenge or a deadline to keep me working daily, otherwise I find other things get prioritised and days, weeks go by without my getting creative. So this is perfect. I want to get better at the whole body too - so what better place to start than the face!

This first one is just from my imagination... which didn't stretch to hair!  This is done in my A5 Asda sketchbook which has lovely thick pages and usually takes lots of abuse when it comes to mixed media and pastels. However - I have realised it doesn't like watercolours much - it sucked that water right up, so my blending is not as good as it could be.
Whoopidooings: Carmen Wing - Face - Mixed Media #40Portraits
Lyra Aquacolour crayons, Neocolour II crayons, Graphite pencil, Acrylic paint
This second portrait, I used a picture from an online catalogue as a reference - here. I did this one on a card for my Pheebs who had her 13th birthday a couple of days ago. Much happier with this one.
Whoopidooings: Carmen Wing - Bear Hat girl - watercolour crayons #40Portraits
Neocolour II crayons, Watercolour pencils, Graphite pencil, Fineliner pen
Both these took about 45 minutes to an hour, doing 5 or 10 minutes at a time when I could during the day. So already I'm feeling the benefit of this challenge. Why don't you come join us?

Thanks for stopping by and taking a peek today :)

12 comments:

  1. I love the colours you've used in your first image - so effective - but my favourite is the second image ..the one in the hat? SO much fun! Wonderful - thank you for sharing - Shroo:)x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two gorgeous faces, and I could use a hat like that in this cold weather. The have lovely expressions, one wistful and the other smiling that secret smile.
    Thank goodness I can't be tempted into yet another challenge! I was on Facebook, which I only joined when I started blogging because a course I was interested in was on it. But I disentangled myself from it. Good luck with it, I look forward to seeing more great work like this. Thinking of you and hoping you are all well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both of these are great, but the second one made me happy inside. :-) You captured that look on her face perfectly. Btw, i think you handled the blending in that first one really well, considering it's watercolor. Happy Sunday! xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, 40 portraits challenge, well done you-that's some serious work!

    Love them both, but I agree the second really makes me smile.
    Never thought to look in ASDA for a notebook-will add it to my shopping list, thanks for the tip off.

    Happy belated WOYWW too

    kyla

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhhhh, brilliant idea! Although I barley made it through 29 faces, lol. Congratulations on accepting the challenge and for doing such a beautiful job on your first 2 - the lips on the first one are so cool! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the second one. She's so happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow... I admire artists who (can) do portraits... I am always afraid to paint/draw those myself. Challenging myself to create 40 might be a way to get over the fear, but I do have a lot of other deadlines/plans/ideas so I don't know if it would be wise to join the group. It IS tempting though... I will think about it! Hope you had a lovely thanksgiving and a great (long?) weekend! Love from Holland!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carmen, these faces are just amazing! I love all the colour detail in the first one and the smile in the second one! So nice to visit your blog again, i must try to not get so behind again! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well this is a total mystery - in my alternative reality I had commented on this post already.

    I love Phoebe's card so much, it is SO happy!

    You are doing well to grab your time when you can - I tend to wait until a big chunk of time (in the evening) is available, but then I'm either too busy or too knackered. I must try and follow your example.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this idea. Need to check if it is still going. Crikey. November!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cool Carmen... sounds like a great challenge... Love them both.. the hat is adorable!! that sounds good to just do abit when you have time.. makes more sense than the way I have been trying to do things.. and getting nada done.. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look great Carmen! I love your shading technique! I'm only just beginning to learn all this!

    ReplyDelete

Of all the blogs in all the towns, in all of cyber space, you landed on mine...

"Say your right words" the goblins said...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...