SoC - Tutorial Try-Out - ICAD

Going for a hat trick, so I am.

Kristin has postponed any further Tutorial Try-Outs for now while she enjoys all the challenges that are out there this summer. So I've gone back to the beginning to do some of the ones I missed. The first one was Tam's Paint Over Collage tutorial.


I thought I would combine the tutorial with ICAD so my pieces are done on a 4x6 index cards. I'll post the rest of this weeks cards in a separate post. Summer of Colour  has started for 2013. Yay! The first colour combination is Citron Green and Turquoise so that was the colour scheme I went with first.

Whoopidooings: Carmen Wing: Paint over collage - Fly Butterfly Fly
Collage
Acrylic paint (Kaiser Colour & Reeves)
Watercolour pencils (Derwent)
Posca pen
Fineliner
Various stamps
Whoopidooings: Carmen Wing: Collage bases
The collages that are the basis of my pieces - please excuse the shine, they're covered in glue.

This next one hasn't scanned to well - it reads Love Shine a Light around her halo.
Whoopidooings: Carmen Wing: Paint over collage - Love Shine a Light
Collage
Acrylic paint (Kaiser Colour & Reeves)
Watercolour pencils (Derwent)
Posca pen
Fineliner
I really enjoyed this tutorial. It took much longer than I thought it would but mainly because you keep seeing different things to add and I am not good with letting layers dry. I really got into it and do enjoy this technique - it's like an extreme version of doodling on catalogues and magazines :) I will definitely use and incorporate this technique in the future. I'm not to happy with my faces today but overall - I love how they both turned out. I've already started a much larger scale one on a sturdier base. These index cards don't like much abuse.

If you'd like to check out the tutorials Kristin has listed so far, click here.
If you'd like to take part and link up with Summer of Colour, click here.
If you'd like to check out Index Card a Day, click here.

Hat trick accomplished!

Many thanks for stopping by today :)

19 comments:

  1. what great cards, Carmen, loving your citrus green one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! These look very effective indeed - truly ethereal. I've been looking at some of the other 'Summer of Colour' contributions tonight and really loving them too. My daughter has been doing this kind of collage that you've been exploring, on her art school course and it looks really fun - I have to give it a go. I must catch the tutorial and explore ICAD tomorrow; a bit tired now. Julie Ann xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both beautiful, and such a good idea to link the tutorial with the citrus and turquoise theme. You have used these colours so well, when they don't seem to go together naturally.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, Carmen :). WOW, gorgeous mixed media creations here, I'm inspired :). I must go check ICAD soon and maybe try out that one too :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice work going for the hat trick... love it when it works out like that... xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are fabulous. I didn't do that tutorial either. I will add it to the list! Loving that you are doing these on index cards. They truly are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh these are very very interesting! They are both superb and you've got me wanting to have a go myself (I must NOT take on anything else just now, though!). They are both fab, but for me, the second one is particularly appealing - I love the colours, the way you've done her dress, the texture and her message. Well done, Carmen!!

    I'm hoping to get on with my SOC today, wish me luck......!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow Carmen they are both amazing - love them utterly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Found your work on ICAD today- my mouth is still hanging open! Just lovely work! I am loving ICAD too and am toying with looking into Summer of Color. I'm enjoying watching everyone's work from afar! Had so much fun on your blog...just so you know, everyone in my house is fully prepared for the Zombie Apocalypse too:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Carmen and thanks SO much for popping your SOC number on your comment to me. It means I could pop round here so easily and see your wonderful creations, what a great way to use a magazine picture, I'm well impressed. And the butterfly wings too, how super. Oh thanks for the idea of a frame for my twinchies, might just have to do that. Thanks for visiting me too BJ SOC#2

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great cards with fab collages. Happy SOC, Annette x

    http://nettysartadventures.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely stunning works of art, Carmen! I love them both! I especially like how you used the colors on your first page for the SOC challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Carmen! Hi there! How's everybody?
    SO happy to have you playing along, and thank you for those links, I have to check out Kristin's tutorials :)
    Loving these pieces, and really enjoyed the process shots too, thank you for sharing them and can't wait to see more, xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow Carmen I love these, they are just fab

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your SOC-piece. She has such a sweet expression on her face ....

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved this technique when I first tried it, too...though I find faces much easier on larger pieces. You did fantastic on them...I know how small you were working!

    Do you have a dryer? Are you too impatient to use that between layers? Me, too....haha!

    Keep up the creative work!
    I'll have a lot to catch up on when I get back!

    Hugs to last,
    Cam

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely collages, your Summer of Color entry is beautiful! Great composition and love those butterfly wings! <3

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your Summer of Colour page.

    ReplyDelete

Of all the blogs in all the towns, in all of cyber space, you landed on mine...

"Say your right words" the goblins said...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...