Summer of Color - Strawberry Lemonade Zombies, Baby & Laurence Fox

... Oh my!

Yes, what do we get when we cross strawberry and lemonade? (Which happens to be the ice-cream colour prompt over at Kristen's this week.) Why, zombies of course. You knew we would.

I wont lie, I struggled with these colours. Not exactly my comfort zone are they?
I did a couple of pages in my sketchbook journal. The first is detailing some very vivid dreams I've been having for a couple of months now. You know the sort where you're a bit disorientated when you wake up - not quite knowing if you're awake or not? Yeah - those kind.
My printer is literally running on dregs of ink at the moment and I am to skint to buy more. (Other far more important stuff to get first. Like the zombie ACEO in the post below. Priorities people!) Anyway - I knew printing in grey scale would give me some pretty funky results and was not disappointed.

The zombie horde and the dashing Mr Fox are both from Google images. I picked out the eyes and added some colour to the zombies with Gouache and Mr Fox was cartoonised by going over him in fineliner. The background is Gouache too. This is probably one of my quickest pages in this journal... and up there as one of my favourites. 

 


***Interlude***

For the international folk amongst you - this is what the original photo of Laurence Fox looked like. He plays DS Hathaway in a TV police drama called Lewis, set in Oxford, which is a spin off of another show called Inspector Morse. It's a ridiculously English show that shouldn't work in theory but I'm an addict.

***Normal service shall now resume***




The next page was another quickie. Most of the background colour you see here is bleed through from the previous page but I liked the effect. There is some added streaks of Strawberry Lemonade Gouache that was left on my palette (posh word for plastic picnic plate) so that went on as well. My OH kindly blew up and printed the scan picture for  me on his office printer and voila - another page this time about how we are now almost positive that bubba is a boy and how pleased I was to see my Mum's smile.
So there we go, after an initial few days scratching my head - another couple of pages have been added to the sketchbook.

The Summer of Colour only has a couple more prompts to go, I've really enjoyed it and how it makes me use colours I wouldn't normally and even just get creative when I'm tired - I must make sure I carry on when it's finished.

Thanks for stopping by :)

23 comments:

  1. Fantastic! Love the colour combo and love your sketches even more!

    Claire x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful pages! And thank you for the eye candy...:)
    Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fab pages Carmen. Think it does us all good to work out of our comfort zone from time to time. Hope you're listening to your body and resting well when you need to.
    Hugs,
    A x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your pages...the colours work but i would never have thought to use them with those topics ...but I wouldn't mind just eating that yummy cone lol. I adore all the Fox family ....including Laurences dad and uncle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your strawberry and lemonade colours!!! The grey scale printing looks good too.
    Great pages. Thanks for always saying such nice things about my journal pages too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your colors came out great. They are creamy and perfectly ice creamy. I also love that the prompt led to a page for zombies and a page for your baby! Very cool.( P.S- your comment prompt put Dance,magic.dance in my head...)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous pages, interesting dreams! (Mine are involving Christian Grey at the moment, ooh err!). Just in case this is a premonition I will be stocking up on Zombie-thwarting related weapons @ la Walking Dead - baseball bats, shotguns and, if your Facebook status was anything to go by, embroidery frames :D

    I really like how you used the greyscale copies, perfect for the zombie subject matter.

    Bubba could have a wicked sense of humour and actually be a girl - be prepared!!!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the colour combination. jenx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't want it to end! Must find something similar to do!! haha you and your zombies :-P I love LOVE Lewis and Morse and Poirot etc etc :-P

    ReplyDelete
  10. I somehow think you would fit zombies into ANY prompt you were given, lol. I remember doing it with horses in all my school projects at around age 13 and my son is mad on dolphins atm so all his school work incorporates them! Loving seeing all these painty backgrounds, inspires me to do some of them too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. great pages...i had no idea who it was so thanks for the heads up....now you never really know until you hold them you know...lol...but mother's intuition is mostly right...i have a theory, if you pick a name that you like, better than the other name...ie one boy and girl name say you like the girls name best...that's what you'll have...I have not failed once with this theory...xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. ooh what lovely pages- I so wish I had the arty gene I get so jealous looking at all the blogs with really cool art on

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous pages.. strawberry lemonade and zombies..the perfect mix.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this Carmen.. zombies and ice cream... too cool... I have never heard of this show either so was good to know.. will look to see if it's on here at all...
    thinking your mojo's back....think mine is wandering a tad but... in the right direction...lol
    Kath
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely fab and interesting pages Carmen!! What a mixture.... zombies and Ice-cream!! Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I struggled too with it - it's still sat on my scrapping floor unfinished grrrrrrrrrrrr

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVE how you have done the zombie page, it looks really great! Lovely scan pic of bubba too x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely pages these are, especially the one with the zombies and mr. Fox.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your zombie page is wowzer! Most of us wouldn't have known that zombies "go" with everything LOL Congrats on the lil Bubba!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fabulous your dream a dream. These are great pages.
    lovely greet
    marja
    (marjascreativity)

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a lovely vivid dream!. I would love dreaming about such a handsome hero! Well, minus the zombie though :)). I'm keeping a dream diary for almost a year now, I would like to try paint them someday :).

    ReplyDelete
  22. Zombies next to ultrasound photos.....only in your journal!

    ....I love that about you!

    ReplyDelete

Of all the blogs in all the towns, in all of cyber space, you landed on mine...

"Say your right words" the goblins said...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...