Sisterhood Of The Travelling Sketchbook

A couple more entries to The Sisterhood sketchbooks.

This one is for October and the story behind it is that much as I love Halloween and all that comes with it - the one thing I don't do is take my girls trick or treating. It's a throw back from how I was bought up, echos of my parents saying "no child of mine is going begging round the neighbours!" It's kind of stuck. I have no problem with them going to Halloween parties or even dressing up and dishing out the sweets at our door... what a mean old mum eh?

So this was a scrapbook page that I have been hoarding forever. I used Copics to colour it in and added my own doodles to bring Halloween to life.











This one is for November. It's probably one of the more personal ones I've done and it's taken me a long time to do it, I've been putting it off. I'm actually a little uncomfortable showing these pages, how silly? I don't want people to think this is me all the time - it's rare but when it hits, it's not nice. It details how I have in recent years owned up to bouts of blackness - not to anyone in particular - more to myself, you know? November was a particularly bad month, which I've detailed in the book but wont go into on the blog... Basically, this is kind of how I feel when it hits. In the dark, all alone, even though part of me knows my family is there and I'm so lucky to have them... when I'm happy I just hope that they'll carry on waiting for me in those dark times to help me back into the light and still love me.                                             
Whoopidooings (Carmen Wing) Dealing with Depression Art Journal page
Ahem. So anyway. These pages were done in watercolour crayon, biro and fineliner pen. It all came together pretty quickly when I got bum sat down and mind on it - should tell me something eh?
Whoopidooings (Carmen Wing) Dealing with Depression Art Journal page
Whoopidooings (Carmen Wing) Dealing with Depression Art Journal page
I've fallen quite a way behind with these sketchbooks and the reason behind November is partly why. The other girls in the group have been very understanding even without knowing all the facts, I'm on a roll now though. The mojo seems to be back and I've got a couple more sketchbooks here to finish up in various stages of drying/pondering so hopefully I'll be showing those soon.

Thanks for bearing with on this rather self indulgent post... and as always for stopping by :)

20 comments:

  1. Well, my friend, November may have been a dark place for you, but it's turned into a mighty fine sketch. You are very brave to put crayon to page and I applaud your honesty. The October page is also fabulous - Love those buildings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off, this was NOT a self indulgent post in any way, shape or form. The Lonely Rivers pages are so sad, dark, beautiful and honest and show you at a vulnerable time in your life. The position you've painted yourself in says so much. Beautifully done, Carmen. Thank you for trusting us with this, it took a lot of courage to share.

    Regarding Halloween and the non Trick or Treating rule - I took my kids out once (I did a Halloween party) and felt so bad for disturbing people that we never did it again. But like you, I have no problem dishing out the sweets to the kids that come round. I really like the comic book look of those pages.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Carmen, your drawing on your 'unchained melody' page is so powerful!!! you are quite the artist, young lady!!! That sketch of your loved ones waiting through in the sunnier place is just perfect and your posture is spot on. Perfect perfect perfect.

    Love the halloween page too although you are deffo a meanie, trick or treating is fun! :P :) I have only ever let my kiddies knock on doors of houses that are clearly "up for it" though - decorations, pumpkins etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing pages ....and that lone figure is so full of feelings.xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! What a powerful spread that second journal is. Good choice of technique for the background and the colours are perfectly suited to the mood. You are brave though, letting us see this very private side of your life.

    At Halloween, I also only let my kids (with an adult) go to houses that put pumpkins out and decorations, its how they know those houses are acceptable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Uh wow Mrs! Fab pages and you are brave sharing the second ones with us. Glad your mojo is a rockin' - wish I could say the same for mine! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. yaaahooo! Carmen, these look great. I'm so glad you've got some Sistah hood mojo going on. I hope one of those is in my book!! awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my Carmen - that page is one of the most poignant one's I've ever seen - your soul on the page, it must have taken a lot to share the page and it is absolutely amazing. Knowing that your family are there waiting for you reflects those that you have around you, but the stance of you in the picture shows how low and distant you were. Thank you for sharing and know that not only your family standing waiting but all your friends are here too to help whenever you need it - hugs!

    The halloween page is great, I'm a bit like Sarah take said 11 year old out but only ever venture to the houses that are up for it!

    Hope you are having a beautiful and blessed day!

    Much love

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing art work and moving post. (((hugs))) jenx (I think you are a real artist in every sense of the word)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Agree with the comments above Carmen and good that your art is something of an outlet too. Delighted to hear you are on he up again....have also started a sketch book so may share that on my blog one day too!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are so crazy talented!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What amazing pages and such different styles.

    Toni xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay!! Great pages.

    November seems to be one of those months... What incredibly powerful pages you've created for it.

    Your cityscape is hauntingly lovely! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those last pages for November are some seriously good art! Dark subject and I know how you feel but still that's awesome work there!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Powerful art Carmen. Your November page portrays such emotion and is beautifuly done. I think we can all relate to it at some stages in our life.The light is there though on your page and I am glad you found your way back to it. Hugs x x x

    ReplyDelete
  16. your pages are amazing :-) well done you for doing a page that showed a very personal side of yourself! It's very brave and i admire you!! It was also very very good!! :-D And yes you are a mean old mum haha kidding :-P I once made £50 trick or treating.....it may have been begging but i was sooooo happy i didnt care haha!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your pages are incredible. I am that mum in October. And I have thought that exact thought about my children not going begging to the neighbours. There does seem to be more children doing it now, but not mine, I am happy for mine to dress up and to go to parties, but not go knocking around the neighbourhood.

    And BRAVE. Brave, brave, brave. As someone who enters into the darkness myself, how courageous you are to share. And these pages are so powerful and truth filled. I can feel the emotions dripping of the page. They took my breath away.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hugely moving pages Carmen. I'm perfectly sure that your bravery in displaying them has helped someone somewhere feel less alone.

    It's looking like all those hormones are having a fantastic effect on your creativity?

    ReplyDelete
  19. That November page....I've been there....and you captured it so precisely...

    Thank you for sharing it with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your November page.. so understand.. you portrayed it perfectly.. thank you... Your MoJo is definitely back.. awesome..
    Kath
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Of all the blogs in all the towns, in all of cyber space, you landed on mine...

"Say your right words" the goblins said...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...