Crafting with Cat Hair by Kaori Tsutaya

 By Kaori Tsutaya. Translated from Japanese by Amy Hirschman

The book says:
Are your favourite sweaters covered with cat hair? Do you love to make quirky and one-of-a-kind crafting projects? If so, then it's time to throw away your lint roller and curl up with your kitty! Crafting with Cat Hair shows readers how to transform stray clumps of fur into soft and adorable handicrafts. From kitty tote bags and finger puppets to fluffy cat toys, picture frames and more. These projects are cat-friendly, eco-friendly and require no special equipment or training. You can make most of these projects in under an hour - with a little help, of course, from your feline friends.

I say:
Quirk Books. Who else?  How you live up to your name and make me smile!  

With this book you are shown how to make the puppet on the cover and there are various cat shapes inside that you can use as templates to felt into. The rest of the book is showing you ideas of things to add these things to, how to felt with cat hair, how to gather it and care for it  - the finished felted item is extremely delicate and prone to falling apart if handled to much. It's not advised, for example, to wash scarves and things with cat hair felted motifs in the washing machine. Allergies are addressed and it's not advised that if you are allergic to cats to even try and make the projects (though where you would be stealing the hair from I have to wonder...) 

The starring cat models/fur donaters are gorgeous and all introduced properly at the end. It's a cute book all be it, in my opinion, a gimmicky book.  I think a cat lover would like it for the pictures alone and like I say, it's quirky and fun. However, I must admit I am a cat lover (though don't have a cat.) I wasn't remotely tempted to make any of the projects at all... but I don't like shedded fur everywhere, it annoys me with our dog and as the author quite honestly says, it's going to get everywhere whilst doing this.

Crafting With Cat Hair will be winging it's way to a cat bonkers friend very soon :)
Many thanks to Quirk Books for sending me the book.

Kaori Tsutay (Unfortunately, I can't get the link to Kaori's site to work.)

Thank you for stopping by.

9 comments:

  1. I spotted this in Waterstones and didn't even attempt to look at it as the idea doesn't appeal at all! IMO there are some areas of crafting that should be left well alone...and I even quite like cats. A good review though Carmen, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ROFL....excellent review but I do think this is a step too far in the crafting world!
    I still have nightmares about a clothes shop in Paris where a friend stroked a coat and said that it felt just like her cat...when we looked at the signs...sure enough it was cat fur...
    Hugs xx
    p.s. I'm a dog person...with a dog that seems to shed all year round...

    ReplyDelete
  3. :/ ???? eeewwwwww

    sorry you've not sold me on this one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know, there is something weirdly intriguing about it. Maybe it just appeals to my stingy side :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well if the things fall apart whats the point? Otherwise I'd probably get the book, lol. May 3 cats are molting like anything at the moment, theres cat fur everywhere. Just stroke them & you end up with a handfull of the stuff

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cant wait to read it ...thanks for thinking of me ....how about a book called 'knitting with old lady hair' lol ....everything seems to have some of my long hairs knitted in ....a new meaning to putting yourself into a project. lol. xx
    Our Toto has to be brushed like a dog ...maybe the hair can now be recycled

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonder if it works the same with dog hair? :-) Fun book.
    Good to hear Mr Tumble is still a firm favourite. I had so many enquiries about making them that I have now made a Tiny Tumble [quicker to make so can sell a bit cheaper] that I'm selling in the shop :-) They seem very popular but I have to keep my stock well hidden from the Grandbabies :-)
    Hugs,
    A x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love cats, too...but have too much of a hate/hate relationship with tufts of the sneaky, furry stuff to even entertain this idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd like to see and feel something made with cat hair, but I can't ever see myself doing anything like it. Funnily enough, I saw the dog version of this book in a charity shop the other day. I didn't buy it.

    xx

    ReplyDelete

Of all the blogs in all the towns, in all of cyber space, you landed on mine...

"Say your right words" the goblins said...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...