Monday, 16 April 2012

The Other Life by Susanne Winnacker

The Other Life by Susanne Winnacker


Goodreads says:
3 years, 1 month, 1 week and 6 days since I’d seen daylight. One-fifth of my life. 98,409,602 seconds since the heavy, steel door had fallen shut and sealed us off from the world

Sherry has lived with her family in a sealed bunker since things went wrong up above. But when they run out of food, Sherry and her dad must venture outside. There they find a world of devastation, desolation...and the Weepers: savage, mutant killers. 

When Sherry's dad is snatched, she joins forces with gorgeous but troubled Joshua - an Avenger, determined to destroy the Weepers. 

But can Sherry keep her family and Joshua safe, when his desire for vengeance threatens them all?

I say:
Hmmmm...

I think, possibly... I'm going to have to stop reading Young Adult/Teenage books for my zombie type fixes.

The Other Life was quite a short read.  314 pages done and dusted in a day. I liked the idea of the book. I can't imagine how you would cope with the thought that the World was ending - how do you even begin to plan for that, to get your family safe, calculate your provisions. Seal yourself underground with them... not go INSANE!

For me the story really began when Sherry and her father had to leave the bunker in search of food, this is when the most interesting characters in the whole book came into play. The Weepers. Former humans infected with some mutated rabies disease turning them into.... what came across to me, as a kind of highly intelligent half zombie, half werewolf. Their name given because of the constant milky tears they weep. The scenes they were in were quite simply amazing. I loved them. Gruesome, scary and in one instance for me, heart in mouth... But they were so few and far between. As with most YA books I've read lately - the majority of the plot seemed to be over taken by a sappy romantic sub plot which kind of dwarfed the amazing, amazing Weepers. It all happened to soon, hey - maybe that's what happens in an end of the World as you know it scenario.But you know, when your Dad has been dragged off by monsters, you haven't eaten properly in goodness knows how long, the rest of your family is potentially starving to death or being eaten... is romance really the top of your agenda? Really?

Aaargh and pah!

Again it seems a story that could have been so, so good just stumbled short for me. This is the start of a series and to be honest, I'm not fussed either way to see if anyone survives or not.


If you like Young Adult fiction with the focus on the romance and the (so cool) beasties as a kind of afterthought, this might be a great book for you.

For me? A disappointment. 

Many thanks to Usborne for sending the book to review.

Susanne Winnacker
www.usborne.com

Thank you for stopping by :)

3 comments:

  1. Mmm...totally know where you're coming from. My latest forays into YA literature have been disappointing too.
    Great review.
    Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure it would be as much of a disappointment to young adults too (sorry to put you out of that group, I know the truth hurts!). Thank you for reviewing this so candidly, Carmen.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. As long as you keep Calvin and Hobbes you can go where you like ;) What did you make of our winning Avengers Angels by the way?........

    ReplyDelete

Of all the blogs in all the towns, in all of cyber space, you landed on mine...

"Say your right words" the goblins said...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...