The Well by Peter Labrow

Book kindly supplied to me by the author 

The Well by Peter Labrow

Trapped. Missing. Cursed.

Fourteen-year-old Becca Edwards and her stepbrother have fallen into the bottom of an ancient well. Their parents are away; they wont be missed for days. The predatory man stalking Becca now switches his attentions to her nest friend. Two women who know where Becca is trapped are desperate that she should never escape. Over the course of a week , family, friends and strangers are drawn together by a terrible shared fate - from which not all will escape.

I will put my hands up and say - the author, Peter Labrow, put a call out for reviewers on Twitter - I was there possibly before he even hit the 'enter' button on his keyboard. My 'free book' bat senses tingling into action... a sucker for a freebie and I ain't afraid to admit it - bill it as horror and I have been known to beg.

You know when you start reading a book and you get drawn into the World inside the pages? The outside World ceases to exist or at the very least becomes an irritating distraction... What about when you start talking to the characters? Instinctive vocal reactions warning them against the routes they are about to go down. Dreams about the story invading your sleep... this was The Well for me. I didn't expect to love the book as much as I did. But as soon as I cracked it open that was it, hooked.

It was indeed billed as a horror novel - but the bits that I expected to be horrific... the ancient evil unleashed... weren't so much. Sure, they made me jump, made me re-read the lines in morbid fascination. No the most horrific bits of this book were that of human nature and what we are capable of. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Zombies, vampires, werewolves - bring them on, they scare me not a jot. Bring me human monsters and things that could oh so easily happen, I'm in the corner quivering like a wreck and looking over my shoulder. That's what Mr Labrow brought in spades. The worse thing is he doesn't go into gorey detail, he takes you by the hand, leads you so far up the path and then shoves you into the unknown so your imagination is falling over itself to fill in the blanks. Let me tell you - you do not want your imagination to fill in the blanks with this book.

The characters are all flawed in their own ways which only serves to make them more real - there are no perfect heroes or heroines within these pages. In fact I ended up empathising with one of the villains and cried over a crow!

This book is claustrophobic, riveting, upsetting, uplifting, happy, sad... chills to the bone in places. Very easily the best book I've read so far this year. Without a doubt.

The Well is Peter Labrow's first fictional work and he is self published. I find that so hard to believe after reading the book - I'll definitely be looking out for any future novels.

http://blog.peterlabrow.com
Peter Labrow on Twitter

The Well is available on Kindle as well as in book form. (Remembered to check )

Thanks, as always, for stopping by :)

7 comments:

  1. oooooh amazing review....I must tell my Daughter about this one! Sounds like a great read, thanks Carmen :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds really interesting, Carmen! I'll be looking out for it. Film potential as well perhaps?

    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOh I used to read horror and then stopped because I get nightmares - too much imagination me...

    I have read Chocolat - thank you - and it was a most enjoyable read, beautiful characters all of whom I could identify with to some extent - such a lovely description of closed community life.

    also, been thinking - might do a manga interpretation of the famille for the (ststst studio) wall (staying postive) - can you do me a series of photographs of each of you in manga type poses?

    Dx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a really good read, I love scary! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sound utterly fabulous. I love a good scary book. How did I miss this one? LOL - I love the cover too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your write up has got me hooked, Carmen, one to read in daylight.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now this sounds right up my street. It's going on my wish list. I love it when you get so hooked on a book and you can't wait to finish it but at the same time you don't want it to end... Jaqui x

    ReplyDelete

Of all the blogs in all the towns, in all of cyber space, you landed on mine...

"Say your right words" the goblins said...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...