Sisterhood Of The Travelling Sketchbook #1

Hi all,

I've spent today getting my first pages ready for the travelling sketchbook I'm taking part in. This initial theme was to be loosely based on a colour and to introduce ourselves to the other participants.

The following entries - done by the people my book meets, will be based around the calendar months.

So this is my introduction...
Whoopidooings - Carmen Wing: Sisterhood of the Travelling Sketchbook Art Journal

Hopefully, it comes across that purple was my theme... because I forgot about that side of it till I was nearly finished - oops!

I'm hoping all the symbolism is pretty self explanatory but if not...

The text and book page - because I love reading and books.
The raven - because I adore them. There are three, to symbolise my girls.
The paint splats on the left - well... paint, I love it.
The paint splats on the right - blooood. I like mythological creatures/make-believe monsters in my reading... but human monsters terrify me.
The zombie - I'm really into them at the moment. This is my first drawn one. I totally copied her from my Walking Dead Compendium but am so pleased with her!
The vampire - I've always loved them. This one is inspired by one of my favourite Alice Cooper pictures - a still from the movie Suck where he plays a vampire. I just drew it cartoon-ised. I hope it also shows that I prefer the monster vampires to the sparkly ones.
The runny mascara - My love of Alice... and Bette Davis.
The grungy drips - Is my style not just in art but in most aspects of my life, the way I dress - I don't think you could ever call me girly. I'm happy to have finally realised who I am. (Ooh! Deep!)

Apart from maybe adding a frame to the pages... I'm actually pretty pleased with how it turned out - I think this is the route my journaling will take.

Claire - the raven stamp is the La Blanche stamp I got at Ally Pally. No problems whatsoever, gorgeous crisp image. I used archival ink on watercolour paper to test and then in the journal it was over paint, ink, book pages, acrylic and goodness knows what. Only possible downside is that I got ink on the edges of the stamp each time... but I manage to do that with all stamps so that's probably just my rubbish stamping!

Thanks, as always, for stopping by :)

22 comments:

  1. ah I don't like sparkly vampires either!!! Lovely page :-) Very you...thats a good thing though :-D I really wanted to draw this weekend but i felt so ill BOO!! I'm planning to start lesson two this week though just so you know :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I thought the vamp looked a little too Alice to be a coinkydink :)

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! You did a great job on your zombie, and alice vamp. I love the purple hair and your gorgeous shading. I can't wait to get my hands on your book and see it in person!
    -Brandy

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a start! Love the purple.
    I get ink on all my stamps too - new ones, old ones -- I like to think it makes them look loved (yeh, right) I read a tip once to cover the wood in varnish when you get a stamp, so the ink will wipe off - trouble is, I have waaaay too many to backtrack over to do that now - I'd be as high as a kite from the fumes!! Guess it's as well I like to be messy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blimey, you are very clever. I wouldn't be able to produce anything like that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow this is fab!! Thanks for the update re the La Blanche stamp - I wonder if mine is just way too detailed, either that or I'm completely carp!! :)

    Oh and before I forget I now soooooo get paint ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is utterly fantastic!!! I felt the "youness" of it immediately...but the explanations solidified it even more! It is all so juicy...so fangorific! The purple haired girl is gorgeous, too!!!

    Makes me excited for our future swap...heeheeeheee!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow this is Awesome, I'd love to be able to paint/draw things a little darker than my usual pretty stuff!! I'm a massive zombie fan too (Loved the series of The Walking Dead and can't wait for series two).

    I love how raw and creative this piece is well done! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the way everyone is saying "very you" which of course it is. It's very vampy, painty, ink blotty (I love doing that too) and yes, very you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cool! I love your pages they turned out great, only I can't get close enough to my screen to get a good looksey. Guess I'll have to wait til it's in my hot little hands! It seems we are drawn to the same types of colors. I am diggin' your hair color and eye color here. Very well done Carmen!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, I'm not surprised you are pleased at the way this has turned out Carmen! It's fab, you have a fabulous grungy talent :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oohhhh, I am LOVING this- very expressive! I'm in process of finishing my intro page as we speak. Can't wait for the mailing to begin!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is awesome, truely stunning xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Carmen its fantastic! Love all the grungy, painty splats - and yes, it makes me think of you...absolutley NOTHING to do with the Alice drawing :) In fact, your drawings are amazing...
    A page to be proud of :D x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic work. Love the creatures of the night and the blood splatters. Jaqui x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Did you paint the purple haired girl?! She's superb. Great journal pages, really clearly summing you up.

    Love that crow stamp - I always get ink on the edges of stamps too;0)

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so cool, I love ravens too! Can't wait to see it up close!
    -Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  18. So fab Carmen! Love the purple haired person, stunning work x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow ...and again ...WOW ...you are developing into quite an artist ....and your creativity is endless. Even though I'm not into zombies etc (I do like Vampire Diaries though)I can appreciate your amazing work ....you go girl xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ooh I'm back and on mass catch up this is lovely! Adore the new style!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow...you're off and running! Well done! Great art journal pages.

    ReplyDelete

Of all the blogs in all the towns, in all of cyber space, you landed on mine...

"Say your right words" the goblins said...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...