Dreadfully Ever After


Received from the lovely chappie at Quirk Books to review.

Dreadfully Ever After by Steve Hockensmith

This book is the third in the Pride, Prejudice and Zombies (PPZ) trilogy. The others being Pride, Prejudice and Zombies (obviously) by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith and the prequel Dawn Of The Dreadfuls by Steve Hockensmith.

Our story begins four years after the end of PPZ with Darcy And Elizabeth encountering some marital troubles. She is not happy that it is frowned upon for a Gentleman's wife to be anything but a Lady...ie: not a skull crushing, zombie killing warrior. Most unseemly. Also she is not to sure she wants to face the same fate of her sister and risk her life by going through childbirth. It's whilst the couple debate the subject one day that they become distracted and Darcy finds himself being nibbled upon by a Dreadful. (Zombie.)

Elizabeth, after first dispatching said Dreadful's skull against the nearest tree, knows that the right thing to do is to lop off her loved one's head and then preferably burn his body - just to be sure you understand. Unable to do this she helps him home and then joins forces with the enemy... Hearing of the development of a possible cure to the Dreadful disease Elizabeth risks not only her own life, dignity and freedom but that of her family too as they head to London in search of what might not even exist.

I haven't read the other two books in the series, though I have wanted to get my hands on Pride, Prejudice and Zombies for some time. However, this book is really easy to read as a stand alone novel - the background of what's happened in the other two books is filled in though not in a way that would irritate you if you had read the other two. You also don't need to be fully 'up' on Pride & Prejudice. I'm not in the slightest and it didn't affect my enjoyment of this book whatsoever. And enjoy it I did - immensely!

I loved how London was described, how it was separated into 'Sections' rather than boroughs with the Upper Classes getting to inhabit the nicer, less zombie infested sections - of course. I loved how you could positively smell the stench of decay as the area's around Bedlam Hospital were introduced. I loved the humour, the intrigue - the alternate history... was King George III really mad or was it something much more sinister? I love the black & white illustrations dotted through the book. Parts of it were predictable, but that was OK, I liked being able to go 'AHA! I knew it!' I loved reading how people from that time frame dealt with the everyday threat of a Dreadful attack and got on with their lives. One part made me chuckle when a snooty couple were disgusted that their favourite restaurant had been invaded - what was the world coming to?

In fact the only bit of the book that grated a tiny bit with me, and it is something so silly, there is a Scottish character and instead of just saying he had a strong Scottish brogue, every time he spoke a word with an R in it, it was felt needed to add several 'rrrrrrrrrrrr's after the word. Like I say - silly thing to latch onto but if I had to pick one downer for me personally in the book - that was it and I have no doubt it was done for the humour aspect.

Overall, I loved the book. I will definitely go back and read the others now - but you know what? I finished it this morning and I came straight on the internet afterwards and Googled Bedlam Hospital and a few other things mentioned in the book. I love it when a story gets me wanting to find out more don't you?

Thank you to Quirk Books for sending me this copy to review. Would you like to read Dreadfully Ever After? I'm offering up my copy as a giveaway so if you are interested, be sure and let me know in the comments below, I'll draw a winner in a week or so :)

http://www.quirkclassics.com/
http://www.stevehockensmith.com/

Thank you as always for stopping by.

7 comments:

  1. I have always been a bit wary of the Jane Austen retellings but you have made this sound very appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the sound of this - I clicked through to the quirk classic site and love the illustrations. Oh and the whole RRRRRR thing would bug me too, but then rubbish Scottish accents do tend to irritate me :) Jaqui x

    PS I'm gonna email you tonight - if you don't see anything from me give me a dunt please ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of this series before. I love zombies although I've never read Pride and Prejudice before. I may have to see if our library carries these books. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved PP&Z. I have been wary of the prequels / sequels, but may have to check them out now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I looked at PP&Z several times but never got round to buying it - would love a chance to have your follow up- indeed, I hadn't known there was one! Grrrrrreat review.... oh sorry, couldn't resist that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh My God.
    MY POST RIGHT NOW is on Dreadlocks.
    Yours says Dreads and I was like, HUH? Carmen has dreads? And she beat me to the post?
    Xx,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your humor...you make even crushing zombie skulls enjoyable :)

    ReplyDelete

Of all the blogs in all the towns, in all of cyber space, you landed on mine...

"Say your right words" the goblins said...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...