What Would Kirk Do?


I won this book (after entering every comp I could find of it) from the New Classics website.

Night Of The Living Trekkies by Kevin David Anderson and Sam Stall

“Jim Pike was the world’s biggest Star Trek fan — until two tours of duty in Afghanistan destroyed his faith in the human race. Now he sleepwalks through life as the assistant manager of a small hotel in downtown Houston. But when hundreds of Trekkies arrive in his lobby for a science fiction convention, Jim finds himself surrounded by costumed Klingons, Vulcans, and Ferengi — plus a strange virus that transforms its carriers into savage, flesh-eating zombies!”

A disaster at a secret government location unleashes the virus that will result with a Star Trek convention in Houston becoming overrun with zombie Klingons and Captain Picards.

Don't pick up this book thinking it's going to be one gag filled poke at Star Trek after another - it's not. The writers are obviously huge fans and it shows. There's a TON of Star Trek in jokes and nods to the entire series and genre, some I got, some I didn't. Upon a bit of digging on the net for example - it had completely passed me by that the chapters were named after some famous episodes. However - you don't HAVE to be a die hard fan of the Star Trek series to 'get' this book. There is a good story in here, Jim Pike, the soldier with issues, just wanting the quiet life with no responsibilities ends up our reluctant hero. He's a like-able character you'll be rooting for from the get go. With the Captain title thrust upon him he battles through the pages with his sidekick dressed as a Star Wars Princess Leia in her bikini of all things, accumulating and losing various members to his crew just trying to keep those that he cares for safe and uneaten. Unaware of how bad the invasion is and how widespread it perhaps has gotten, he battles the demons in his head as well as the ones shambling towards him from every angle.

Do I need to tell you how much I loved this book? I had wanted to read it as soon as I saw, in my opinion, the best book trailer ever on You Tube. I was worried that when I finally got hold of it that it would be one of those I had built up in my head so much that it could only be a let down. How wrong was I? Such a pleasant surprise to have a book exceed expectations. I'll even put my hands up and admit I had a genuine jump in my seat moment about two thirds through - and yes I was embarrassingly in public at the time.

There was also a twist at the end that I didn't see coming - always a good thing. If this book isn't made into a film it will be a travesty. Humour, horror, romance, Sci-Fi, zombies and Trekkies...tell me, what more could you possibly ask for from a book? Or a film!

I was going to offer up my copy as a giveaway but... I will read it again which I don't say often so I'm keeping it. Ner, ner, ner.

ISBN-10: 1594744637

http://www.kevindavidanderson.com/
http://www.samstall.com/

It's life Jim... but not as we know it!

(Sorry, couldn't resist!)

4 comments:

  1. Mmmmm sounds interesting, very interesting :) Definitely my kinda book. I'll put it on my Santa list and see if he's nice :) Hugs Jaqui x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you liked it. I don't think it would be for me. I can't deal with zombies since reading Boneshaker. That book killed them for me!

    ReplyDelete

Of all the blogs in all the towns, in all of cyber space, you landed on mine...

"Say your right words" the goblins said...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...