Wednesday, 9 June 2010

Creativity Boot Camp Days 1,2 & 3

I joined up to the free two week Creativity Boot Camp the other day. First day was Sunday. (so still time to join in!) I'm really loving how much it's making me think and also to drag out my paints every day! I chose paints as my medium because I've wanted to use them more for ages, quite a few classes I'm looking at involve painting and basically - I just miss it. Years ago, growing up and in my teens I was never far away from my sketch book or my paints. On reflection (which this class has made me do) I know when I stopped drawing and painting, I know why I stopped... what I am now wondering is... now that certain things aren't in my life and haven't been for years. Why didn't I start again? Time to rectify that!

I must admit I found the first 3 days of the journalling very hard, only because I don't like putting stuff like that down on paper. Fear of being laughed at or being cheesy. I will get it done but it will take me a while and I wont be sharing it on my blog.

So on to the prompts. Day one was Ivory. Instantly I thought of elephants and then for some reason, Elmer. Then I thought, wouldn't Elmer look cool with an Alice makeover? Please excuse the picture, I've magnified the one from the post below which was a shot of my desk.I had almost finished Elmer - was going to bling him up a bit, moved a box of paint straight on top of him, didn't realise that until a couple of hours later... yup he is now welded to the underneath of that box. Hmmm. Don't worry there will be an Alice-ified Elmer II but if I don't start posting photos I'm going to get so far behind I just wont do it. He was cute though wasn't he? *sniff*

The day two prompt was Picnic now instantly the only thing that came into my head was apples crawling with cheeky chappie maggots. Why? I dunno - it's certainly not representative of the picnics we go on. However I ran short on time, was still doing Elmer and am trying to do this day by day so skipped straight to day three.

Day three prompt - Multilayered. NOW you're talking! I have a sketch book I treated myself to at Christmas. It's been sadly neglected but I hope it will be chocka in a few months now that I'm all inspired. The covers were made from white canvas. I decided all that white had to go and you can't get much more multi layered than this :PThis is five layers in, I have some more to go and some embellies to add but I have to wait for each layer to dry. I'm going to try, from here on in, to post daily with this class. The only thing is I'll be posting a day behind because I don't generally get 'me' time till the girls are asleep so wont be starting day four (prompt: Heavy Metal... take a wild guess!) till later this evening. Then I need the paint to dry, have some natural light to take photos blah blah blah! I wont bore you again with how dark my house is ! (It's a cave!)

I am really loving this class so far and am already slightly sad that it's only two weeks long. I will try and keep up the daily craft time after it's finished.

Thanks you as always for popping by :)

P.s: Just thought - that green and blue paint was applied with a plastic picnic knife. Day two sorted!

17 comments:

  1. I love Elmer! I haven't done day 1's assignment but I though of an elephant also. I guess because of the ivory tusks.

    I am sooooo far behind on my journaling. I think I will get caught up at work today instead of sketching. I have a pretty easy job. lol. I get to do what I want in between incoming calls. I've never been one to keep a diary and journaling just isn't my top priority. lol.

    Can't wait to see your picnic post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how you fit it all in!! Your journal pages look gorgeous. (thanks for the link re the fabric, am going to check it out!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love your first few days...... especially multilayered, so great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done. I lost and the plot the first day and never got round to any of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your lovely comment...I wish I was 33!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing, you are doing a great job, and by the way I LOVE the book-background on your blog, I do love books so this is awesome:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Elmer is just the best ... Love your layered wotsit too ... bet it's right nice to stroke!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I havent joined but am following the CBC & planning to use the prompts in order when I have time to do some scrapbook layouts, day 1 & I'm stuck as no ivory 12x12s (or even close) & no craft budget left to go get some, doh! & I have the perfect idea in my head as well, typical!lol.

    Poor squished Elmer Cooper :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. way to go! your creations are turning out great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE the multi-layering pages, that effect is great - was it the same one you did on the scrapbook the other day? Like the sound/look of that. I saw someone had just photographed a Cadbury's 'Picnic' bar wrapper for that day! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Poor old Elmer, cant wait to see the Alice/Elmer!!Love the multilayered, the texture you have achieved in the paint is great.Looking forward to seeing your heavy metal work. This course is really making me think and see things in a more creative way..just hope i can keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah, it's really bat-cave dark here at the minute too.

    These are really cool interpretations Carmen. I'm loving the Elmer. And I'm looking forward to Heavy Metal

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Carmen, just wanted to thank you for pointing me to ShabbyBlog.com it´s great and I´ve made my blog look much better:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOL Carmen, that is just so funny, yes "great mind think alike", looking forword to see your work for Heavy Metal :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOL Carmen. That food warning was totally for you! I also tried to pick something somewhat healthy just for you as well. Those new flavors of Laughing Cow just started showing up in our stores so hopefully they will show up over there soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. awww I adore him...I always love looking at your work :)woo hoo only a couple more days Carmen until we can see some new episodes of TB!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are right about my weed, I looked it up at Google.com LOL Now I´m waiting for your painting :) no rush just pushing you LOL

    ReplyDelete

Of all the blogs in all the towns, in all of cyber space, you landed on mine...

"Say your right words" the goblins said...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...