Red, Red, Glorious Red

I was lucky enough to be sent a bunch of ribbons to participate in the 11th Crafty Ribbon Challenge entitled "Valentine." The criteria being you have to make two projects using ribbons and send them back to them so they can take them to exhibitions and display them on their blog. I think they were more after cards but we all know how I struggle with those so they are getting a duckie instead. And... it's Christmas duckie and not valentines... Ho hum...

Carmen Wing - Whoopidooings - Altered Rubber Duck
Carmen Wing - Whoopidooings - Altered Rubber DuckShe's made using Christmas napkins, I highlighted the white custard/cream with my white gel pen as that became a bit transparent with the Decopatch glue. I then Glossy Accented her to within an inch of her life and added blingtastic eyes and beauty spot. A ribbon and jingle bell from a chocolate Easter bunny and the love heart beaded stuff is from Crafty Ribbons.

Then, feeling guilty about the lack of valentine subject matter... I made this brooch.Carmen Wing - Whoopidooings - Ribbon Rose Brooch
Carmen Wing - Whoopidooings - Ribbon Rose BroochI used this tutorial found via the Fiddle Farty blog. Both girls did a gorgeous job, however, I couldn't work out how they stopped their twirls from exploding in every direction. So I Glossy Accented all over and left to dry... still exploding, so PVA'd and left to dry again, not so much explosion but still some... So 2 days of drying time later (placing it on the heater, by the boiler, thought about microwaving and heat gunning it...) I glitter glued all over. No joy. In the end I raided Craig's tool box and super glued the beast.

Success!

So just to be sure I Glossy Accented AGAIN and then - because I still had a tiny bit of GA left - I attacked a black flower and attached that to the back and added a safety pin. Et Voila. Easy peasy. Good news is I love it and know to use super glue FIRST next time, it is solid now and sort of has the effect of being sculpted which I love. I just wish I had some black glitter but will get some for next time. Craig even suggested it would look pretty in clusters as a table decoration or floating in water. So I better get practising eh?

Here's hoping Crafty Ribbons like what they are getting. Thank you as always for stopping by :)

14 comments:

  1. oooh i say, thats a rather delish brooach that wont go soggy in the rain. I love it x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will you please open an Etsy store, so I can purchase a fabulous ducky and a brooch! You keep tempting us with all these goodies you keep making and it really isn't fair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ducky and brooch are stunning ... fabulous work and well done you on sticking with it :0) Get it ... super glue ... glossy accents ... PVA ... NO???? Doh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO thats why you needed superglue for a ribbon! Looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely gorgeous both of them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh brilliant Carmen...and so worth the drying time! That brooch - I thought it was Fimo. brilliant gal. I'm with Craig, they'd look great in almost any situation actually.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that red color. Duckie is so cute. Her accents are perfect and the glossy effect really makes the difference. The brooch is very pretty. I can't judge its size from the picture, but I think it would look nice worn as a choker on a neck ribbon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh so clever! Love duckie and that brooch is beautfiul, just want to hold it! x x

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE that ducky! I've just had a lovely time reading back through all the posts I missed while I was AWOL. Nice to be back :0)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think they are both awesome but then I have an aversion to cards too. I just suck. lol You ducks are so fun...I smell etsy shop! lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Luv a duck! That's one gorgeous creation!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You do great work! I really love your brooch, it's beautiful! The Alice swap is gonna be fuN!!!!!! xOxO deb

    ReplyDelete

Of all the blogs in all the towns, in all of cyber space, you landed on mine...

"Say your right words" the goblins said...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...