Clicker Clacker Tutorial

Thank you for all your lovely comments about the Clicker Clacker. A couple of people have asked for instructions. I hesitate to call this a tutorial as that would indicate that I know what I'm talking about! 

I apologise in advance for the pictures. I took them as I went along as a reference for myself for when I make the next one. It's very dark in my house and it was piddling down outside so had to take the pictures standing by my open back door, trying not to get wet. All very technical.

You need 8 blocks to start. These can be blocks made of paper, wood or whatever. I had some wooden blocks that I received in my UKS Secret Santa stocking. I've also accumulated some more in plastic this time from a charity shop bargain toy bucket. 50p for around 10 blocks so worth checking.
You need to hinge together 2 blocks so that you end up with 4 pairs. I attempted this with ribbon the first time, to make it pretty - very, VERY flimsy. So the next attempt was with scrap card. Like so:
Now you see how I've positioned them? Well this is how the set-up needs to be but the two middle horizontal pairs need to have the hinge on the back. I took the picture this way so I would remember which way the hinges went.

I hope that makes sense. Next you need to hinge the top of the first front block with the first middle block. and then the second middle block with the end block and then the same on the bottom as shown by the green lines here:
And that's it. You are all hinged. (Well, that's debatable with some of you! Ahahaha!) So have a little play to get the creases in the hinges nice and flexible.


Tips:

I used double sided tape on the hinges and pictures. The girls have been playing with the clacker constantly and the sticky on the tape is coming away a bit so I would suggest using the tape while you are positioning but then something a bit stronger to finish it all off.

The hinges do show through the picture so maybe it wasn't such a good idea to use BRIGHT red card ;)

You need to allow a couple of millimetres between the bricks when hinging. Once the pictures are on it gets a bit snug.

When choosing your pictures either have a really large image that wont matter being segmented or if you have a group of people try and position each face on a block so they aren't obscured by a cut or hinge.

Thank you so much for your interest. Have fun playing - I'd love to know if you make one  :)

10 comments:

  1. I am so impressed. I shall definitely look for some blocks at the bootsale as I would love to make a couple of these for my girls. The instructions are so straightforward, you make it sound easy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to start looking too ... i think plastic cubes sound best ...strong but light. I have plenty time to find bits .. and perfect the project as my 2xGS's are only one lol
    Great instructions ... thanks xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great instructions Carmen, really clear and easy to follow. just need to find some blocks now ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Impressive. Have seen those before, but never thought I could make one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you are so clever, they are fab xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is brilliant! Would love to give this a try..just need to find some blocks now :)
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is just fabulous you have done an excellent job of explaining it. I am so so impressed and it is now on my list of things to do. Thanks xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent instructions - I'm going to keep my eyes open for blocks and then I will have a go at making one of these. It looks excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Way too cool! I'm definitely making one for my son this year for Christmas! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic. Definately on my list of things to do. x

    ReplyDelete

Of all the blogs in all the towns, in all of cyber space, you landed on mine...

"Say your right words" the goblins said...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...